The Bay Area is a hub of media production and exhibition, and the SF State School of Cinema has a record of placing highly successful interns with a wide range of production, distribution and exhibition organizations throughout the Bay Area.
Internships can be a vital complement to students’ in-class experiences, offering opportunities to observe how media organizations operate, to gain hands-on experience in the field and to meet and observe working professionals.
Students interested in obtaining an internship should consult the list of internships on Cinema’s Facebook page under Notes. Students serious about securing an internship should check this source often, as new internships are posted frequently. Students may also pursue internships not included on this list. Such internships must be submitted to the internship coordinator for vetting.
You can view information on internship opportunities in the following categories:
- Criticism (information coming soon)
- Film festivals
- Post-production (information coming soon)
- Production (information coming soon)
Applying for Internships
Every internship description includes details on when, how, and to whom to apply. Students desiring assistance with application materials, including resumes, cover letters, etc., can contact Professor Daniel Bernardi Cinema internship program director at email@example.com.
Departmental Prerequisites for Internships
To qualify for the internship program, students must:
- Be a junior or senior Cinema major or graduate student (exceptions are possible for sophomores)
- Have a minimum 3.0 grade-point average in Cinema courses and 2.5 GPA overall
Receiving Academic Credit for Internships
To receive academic credit for internships, students must:
- Submit a copy of their DARS report or transcript verifying their GPA to the internship program director
- Submit a completed Internship Contract (PDF) to the internship program director. This form can be found on the Forms page
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours for 3 units of academic credit
- Submit periodic reports on their internship experience to the internship program director, as specified on the iLearn page. This form can be found on the Forms page
- Verify that their internship supervisor has returned the Internship Evaluation (PDF) to the internship program director at the end of the semester