Alex is a cinematographer, filmmaker and Assistant Professor at SF State. Working in the UK and internationally he has photographed several independent feature films as well as numerous award winning short films.
His research investigates technological, cultural and aesthetic orchestrations of light. Specifically concentrating on cinematography, his recent practice-led doctoral project explored lighting for moving imagery through a series of experimental installations.
Alex is an associate editor of the journal Screenworks and has an ongoing interest in practice-research methodologies and new modes of disseminating research.
- Ph.D., University of the West of England (2018)
- M.F.A, Scotland Screen Academy (2014)
- B.A. (Hons), University of Gloucestershire (2011)
- "Cinematographic affordances: Creative approaches to lighting in moving image practice.” Journal of Media Practice and Education, 19(2), 122-138.
- "Virtual Illumination: Lighting across live-action and computer-generated moving images.” Screenworks, 7(2).
- Hôtel de la Comète (short) (cinematographer), 2017
- Canaries (cinematographer), 2017
- Not Waving (short) (cinematographer), 2016
- Milk! (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- L'Esprit de l’Escalier (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- Amelia’s Letter (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- Harry & Avis (cinematographer), 2014
- Léthé (short) (cinematographer, producer), 2014
- Fishcakes & Cocaine (short) (director, producer, cinematographer), 2013
- Battlecock! (short) (cinematographer) 2013
- Before Dawn (cinematographer) 2013