Alex is a cinematographer, filmmaker and Assistant Professor at SFSU. He has photographed several independent feature films as well as short projects for Creative England, Channel 4, Film London and the British Film Institute. His cinematography work focuses on artist's film and creative fiction, including award-winning projects that have screened in international film festivals.
Alex’s areas of research and teaching include the practice and theory of cinematography, film aesthetics and media archaeology. His recent practice-led doctoral project explored the art of lighting for moving imagery through a series of experimental installations and was supported by a scholarship through the Arts and Humanities Research Council’s 3d3 Centre for Doctoral Training.
Alex is an associate editor of the journal Screenworks and has an ongoing interest in practice-research methodologies and new forms of academic publishing.
- Ph.D., University of the West of England (2018)
- M.F.A, Scotland Screen Academy (2014)
- B.A. (Hons), University of Gloucestershire (2011)
- Passages of light: illumination in film and video installation. Journal of Artistic Research, 18.
- Cinematography and filmmaking research: reflections on a practice-led doctoral process. Alphaville Journal of Film and Screen Media, 17(3), 188-196.
- Publishing screen media practice research: evolving processes of contextualisation, peer review and future proofing. Journal of Media Practice and Education 19(3), 283-297.
- Cinematographic affordances: Creative approaches to lighting in moving image practice.” Journal of Media Practice and Education, 19(2), 122-138.
- Virtual Illumination: Lighting across live-action and computer-generated moving images.” Screenworks, 7(2).
- Hôtel de la Comète (short) (cinematographer), 2017
- Canaries (cinematographer), 2017
- Not Waving (short) (cinematographer), 2016
- Milk! (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- L'Esprit de l’Escalier (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- Amelia’s Letter (short) (cinematographer), 2015
- Harry & Avis (cinematographer), 2014
- Léthé (short) (cinematographer, producer), 2014
- Fishcakes & Cocaine (short) (director, producer, cinematographer), 2013
- Battlecock! (short) (cinematographer) 2013
- Before Dawn (cinematographer) 2013