In my work I straddle the conceptual, sensorial and disciplinary borders of documentary film studies, visual studies, and the anthropology of contemporary art worlds. My interest in cinema and experimental media is informed by archival research on Mexican and Latin American avant-garde film and my ethnography of curatorial laboratories in Mexico City. I'm currently working on a manuscript titled The Incurable Image: Repetition & Curation on a Tri-Continental Scene where I explore a couple of things. First, the etymological register of the clinical term 'curare.' Second, the curatorial transmission of political modernism and (neo) avant-garde aesthetics between Latin America, North Africa, and Southern Europe from the 1920s onward. I curated several experimental film programs from Latin America and Middle East at the Pacific Film Archive, Ruhr Trienale, San Francisco Cinematheque, Tangiers Cinematheque, De Young Museum, Rice University, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
- Tarek Elhaik. « Borderline Ghosts: From Touch of Evil to Maquilapolis» in Tijuana Dreaming : Art & Life at the Global Border, eds. Josh Kun & Fiamma Montezemolo. (Duke University Press, 2012), pp. 339-354.
- (Tarek Elhaik & Dominic Willsdon) "Tricontinental Drifts" in Six Lines of Flight: Shifting Geographies in Contemporary Art, ed. Apsara DiQuinzio, (Berkeley: UC Press, 2012), pp. 193-199.
- Tarek Elhaik & George Marcus. “Disenos Curatoriales en la Poetica de la Etnografia Hoy / Curatorial Designs in the Poetics & Politics of Ethnography Today” in Iconos (Dossier: Visual Anthropology in Latin America), 42: 89-104, Ecuador: Flasco, January 2012
- Tarek Elhaik. “Mutual Intrusions: Metalogue with Roger Bartra” In Revista de Antropologia Social, University of Madrid, 18:45-64, Fall 2008.
- Tarek Elhaik. “Ceci N’est Pas de L’Ethnographie: Errance des Formes de Vie Chez Renee Green / This is Not Ethnography: Errancy of life-Forms in the work of artist Renee Green” in Routes-Roots: Studies in Visual Culture. No.1, 2011. http://www.roots-routes.org/?p=2182
- Tarek Elhaik. “Anthropology & Images: Pedagogical & Curatorial Notes ” in La Critica Sociologica, Fabrizio Serra, vol. 166 Summer 2008. p. 49-61)
- Tarek Elhaik “Solitude & Fragments: Introducing the Videowork of Mounir Fatmi”, in Framework: The Journal of Cinema & Media, Wayne State University Press, vol. 43.2 Fall 2002. p 104-110.