Professor and Director
Phone: (415) 405-3972
Location: Fine Arts Building, Room 245A
Wed: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm or Email for appointment
Professor Kerner has taught in the SF State Cinema Department since 2003; prior to this, he was a lecturer in the History of Art and Visual Culture Department at UC Santa Cruz. He was the recipient of, among other things, an NEA grant for his exhibition Reconstructing Memories (2006). In 2011 he published Film and the Holocaust (Continuum) – an extensive survey of the narrative, documentary, and experimental representations of the Holocaust. He is currently working on a range of subjects in and around the concept of ugliness and disgust (e.g., Torture Porn, Butoh, and cinema).
- Ph.D., Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- M.A., University of Leeds, England
- B.A., University of California, Santa Cruz
Selected Publications & Filmography:
- "The Alpha and the Omega: The Work of Katsuhige Nakahashi," Camerawork vol. 34, no. 2: 7-14, (Fall 2007).
- “The Depth of Memory: An Interview with Katsushige Nakahashi,” trans. Shoko Okuda, Camerawork vol. 34, no. 2: 21-27, (Fall 2007).
- Representing the Catastrophic (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 2007).
- Reconstructing Memories, exhibition catalog (Honolulu: University of Hawaii, Art Gallery, 2006).
- “Of Child’s Play and the Japanese Catastrophic Imagination: Katsushige Nakahashi’s Zero Project and On the Day Project – Runit Dome,” in Nakahashi Katsushige: ZEROS - Interacting Memories, exhibition catalog (Tokyo: Asahi, 2006), 54 – 84.
- “Gojira vs. Godzilla: Catastrophic Allegories,” in Mark Franko, ed. Ritual and Event: interdisciplinary perspectives (New York: Routledge, 2006), 109 – 124.
- “Hideaki Anno’s Love and Pop: Enjo-kosai and the Shojo Economy,” in Masami Toku, ed. Shojo Manga: Girl Power! Girls’ Comics from Japan, exhibition catalog (Chico, CA: Flume Press at Chico State University, 2005): 32 – 35.
- Angela Kelly and Aaron Kerner, “The Scent of Positive Lives: (Re)Memorializing Our Loved Ones,” Qualitative Inquiry vol. 10, no. 5 (October 2004): 767-787.
- Aaron Kerner, “What’s Real About It? Adolescent Female Sexuality in Thirteen,” American Sexuality magazine vol. 3, no. 4 (August 2005).