Additional office hours by appointment
Mihaela Mihailova is an Assistant Professor in the School of Cinema at San Francisco State University. She has published in Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, Feminist Media Studies, animation: an interdisciplinary journal, Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema, Flow, and Kino Kultura. She has also contributed chapters to Animating Film Theory (with John MacKay), Animated Landscapes: History, Form, and Function, The Animation Studies Reader, and Drawn from Life: Issues and Themes in Animated Documentary Cinema. Dr. Mihailova is the co-editor of Animation Studies and currently serves as Secretary of the Society for Animation Studies. Her edited volume, Coraline: A Closer Look at Studio LAIKA’s Stop-Motion Witchcraft, is available from Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Ph.D., Yale University, 2017
- M.Phil., Yale University, 2014
- B.A., Yale University, 2010
- “To Dally with Dalí: Deepfake (Inter)faces in the Art Museum.” Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies. First Published 26 Jul 2021.
- “Fluctuations of Life’: Mutability and Impermanence in Aleksandr Petrov’s Animated Films.” Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema, vol. 15, no. 2 (2021): 139-152.
- “Drawn (to) Independence: Female Showrunners in Contemporary American TV Animation.” Feminist Media Studies, vol. 19, no. 7 (2019): 1009-1025.
- “Collaboration without Representation: Labor Issues in Motion Capture.” animation: an interdisciplinary journal, vol. 11, no. 1 (2016): 40-58.
- “The Tender Beasts’: Peasant Mythology in Petr Lutsik’s The Outskirts.” Studies in Russian and Soviet Cinema, vol. 8, no. 2 (2014): 120-137.
- “The Mastery Machine: Digital Animation and Fantasies of Control.” animation: an interdisciplinary journal, vol. 8, no. 2 (2013): 131-148.
Selected Online Publications:
- “An Anti-Racist Animation Syllabus,” Fantasy/Animation. June 19, 2020.
- “In Toon with the Times: Diversity in American Commercial Animation.” Flow, vol. 26, no.1 (2019). September 16, 2019.